Monday, February 26, 2007

Views Of Nîmes

While in Nîmes, Ken and I ventured up to the highest point in the city, le mont Cavalier, to the historic Tour Magne. This tower dates from pre-roman times and was eventually incorporated into the defensive wall around Nîmes in the first century before our era.

A view of the amphitheater, with its appended dome, from the Tour Magne. I believe that tree-lined street is the Blvd. Victor Hugo.

From the tower, you get terrific views of the city below. It's funny, but I don't think I have any pictures of the tower itself...

The transition between the old roman center and the medieval city and the more modern neighborhoods outside the core of Nîmes.

The Avenue Jean Jaures cuts a straight path just outside the western flank of the old city. It's home to one of the city's outdoor markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!