Sunday, May 06, 2007

Le Mont-Saint-Michel

If you've been reading the blog for a while, you might remember that last year Ken and I and our friend Sue went to the Mont-St.-Michel in June. Then Ken and I went again this past March and spent a night on the island. I posted many photos from those two visits.

The classic view of the Mont-St.-Michel out in the bay.

However, our 1992 road trip was the first time I had ever been to the Mont and these are some of the photos I took then. Again, because it was winter, there were not many people around. It was almost serene. Last June when we were there, the tourist season was gearing up and it was a mob scene. I prefer cold and windy to warm and mobby (I think I just made up a word).

There are many steps up to the abbey from sea level.

At any rate, I won't post too many pictures since there are more from the recent trips in the archives. We arrived in the late afternoon and walked around, visited the abbey, then headed to our evening's destination : Saint Malo.

A lonely boat seen from high up in the abbey (with the help of a telephoto lens).

The Mont-St.-Michel is the last bit of our coastal drive that's still in Normandy. From this point on, we will cross into Brittany, or la Bretagne in French.

Can you see the pigeons resting in the rain gutters ?


2 comments:

  1. The last time I visited, it was just awful, worse than the métro at 5 o'clock. Just jammed. But then, it was in July! It's such a beautiful place though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello WCS,

    So very please to meet you.

    When I just now happened upon your blog, my heart started to race when I read you live in France. I started to hope and search your postings for any posts on Mont Saint Michel, and when I say this collection of posts I literally gasped!

    You see, even though I have never personally physically ever been there myself, I have had a mental love affair with Mont Saint Michel ever since I was a wee-thing. It is a story which I plan to write about soon in my blog, and I will let you know when it is posted, but to say the least I am envious of your visits there, but, thankfully through your blog I can vicariously wander around in present day and imagine the feel of the cobblestones beneath my feet see the mottled moss covered roofs and smell the wet stone walls. Oh yes … this is one place, for sure, I want to visit before I cease being.

    Thank you so much for posting and sharing your adventures and wanderings in your blog.

    Until next time, I wish you good health heaps of happiness and a joyous full New Year 2010.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!