Monday, June 11, 2007

Rafa : Three Time Champ

They traded sets to begin, but after it was all Rafael Nadal in this year's final at Roland Garros. Roger Federer couldn't keep up with the Spaniard. It was a good match, but far from a nail-biter.

Nadal pumps his fist after a winning shot.

One of the cool things this year was that France Télévisions (France 2, 3, and 4) broadcast the tournament in 14:9, which is a wider format than normal TV. Movies, for example, are shown in wide screen 16:9 on our movie stations while most TV shows are broadcast in the familiar 4:3 (almost square) format.

I captured these two shots from the TV with the camera just for fun. They're pretty much the actual dimensions of the TV picture. The clay court season is over for another year. Now it's time for the short grass court season, which culminates at Wimbledon in two weeks.

The score was close early in the first set.

Eurosport is carrying the Queen's tournament in London all week. Hewitt won it last year and Roddick the two years prior. We'll see how they do this year.

3 comments:

  1. So it seems you had a great time yesterday!
    Now for Wimbledon and later on for Fleushing Midows ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved Roger for years, but Nadal is growing on me. He's very gracious. I liked how Roger spoke in English and French after the match.

    I can't help contrast these two nice guys with the nasty guys of the 70s and 80s: Nastase, Connors, and, of course, McEnroe. I loved watching the bad-tempered guys back then, and I love watching the classy guys now. I must be getting old!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!