Thursday, November 08, 2007

Pizza

Last week, I made pizza dough and had a pizza bolognese for lunch. The dough I make is enough for two pizzas, so I froze half of it.

Last week's pizza with meat sauce and cheese.

I decided to have another pizza for lunch yesterday. So the afternoon before, I took out the frozen dough and put it in the fridge to thaw and rise. It rose long and slow in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, I took it out to warm up. Once it was at room temperature, I punched the dough down, shaped the pizza disk, covered it with a towel and let it rise for another hour.

My leek and bacon pizza, just the right size for lunch.

I topped it with sautéed lardons (smoked bacon) and leeks. I added a bit of grated cantal cheese. Wow, was it a great lunch. Served with a bottle of local gamay, of course.

9 comments:

  1. Your leek and bacon looks so much better than any pizza I have ever seen. I wish you delivered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you think cake batter can be frozen? such that you can bake a small, six-inch cake and freeze the rest of the batter?

    god that pizza looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I greatly admire your inclination to keep cooking such good food just for yourself. 'Round about now, I'd be resorting to pbj and ice cream for my meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miam! That crust looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This week a woman in the village who speaks English told me that when the French have leftovers they make the 3 P's, Pizza, Potage, and something wth Potatoes. I hadn't heard of pizza before but the others sure. I haven't made a pizza yet here. One bakery in the village will let you take the dough home ready to cook so you can have fresh bread baking in your oven. I'm going to ask them if one of their dough's might be good for pizza. We keep getting wonderful Cepes. Perfect for pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious, never thought to freeze the dough, thanks for the tip! Vida x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always vaguely disappointed when I make homemade pizza, although pizza is by definition never really bad. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. betty, do you use a pizza stone in your oven? I now use two, one for the pizza to sit on and another on the rack above it to radiate heat downward. It helps.

    vida, I hadn't thought about it either, but it worked great.

    owen, I understand that's a common practice among boulangers. Let me know if you try it.

    cc, merci!

    chris, I just love to eat, and cooking usually means leftovers, which means less cooking. Does that even make sense? ;)

    purejuice, you got me there. Maybe you should do an experiment!

    labelette, I would deliver, but your pizza would be cold and cost of delivery probably would be too high (first class air travel, you know).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum yum! Leek and bacon! Wonderful. Looks good too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!