Monday, March 30, 2009

Tarte A L'Orange

This orange tart is made from exactly the same recipe that I used to make the previous lemon tart. The guy who made it on tv said that if you didn't have lemons, you could use oranges. So Ken bought a couple of oranges and I gave it a try.

A rectangular orange tart.

The only thing to be careful about is that the amount of juice in the lemon recipe is supposed to be 150 ml. The juice of the two oranges I used (plus the juice of half a lemon) came to about 200 ml.

For the custard to work properly, you need one egg for each 50 ml of juice. So, for 150 ml, three eggs is good. For 200 ml, you need four eggs. I also added the zest of half a lemon to the zest of the two oranges. I think the lemon helps bring out the flavor of the orange. Don't ask me why.

This experience gave me an idea. I'm going to try the same recipe with limes. Kind of like a key lime pie. Doesn't that sound good?

Bon appétit!

10 comments:

  1. Looks great great great!

    Hey, your adjusted clock says 12:57 pm, and it's 5:57 a.m. here in St. Louis (we're 7 hours apart again now that it's DST in both our lands.) But... your little weather and time box (below Callie), is still at 11:57.

    I think the lime idea sounds intriguing :)

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful edging on the crust. You were up all night working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, in the boonies, with only dial-up, you little clock is blank! Could it show the time in Antarctica instead of St-Aignan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm... I'll take one for each type of citrus fruit. I love any fruity tart! You know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes the lime sounds good....can't wait for the pictures.

    Victoria, Bellingham, WA

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, it just isn't fair that all this cooking/baking talent is confined to ONE family!!

    May I have some cheese with my whine? ;-)

    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I am going to get fat just ready Ken and your blogs! Key lime would be wonderful.

    ;)

    Gilbert

    ReplyDelete
  8. judy, the weather widget's time reflects when they've updated the weather, not the actual time, so don't go by that!

    carolyn, well, it's actually just the shape of the tart pan...

    chm, what time in Antarctica? I imagine there are just as many time zones there as the rest of the globe.

    mark, hehehe.

    victoria, we have to finish this orange one first, then it will be on to lime!

    bettyann, goat cheese? ;)

    gilber, reading is a zero calorie activity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The idea of an orange tart is intriguing. I bet it would be very good with tangerines, too. I make a tangerine sorbet that is much more interesting than orange sorbet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. doug, tangerine sounds like it would be very tasty. I'll have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!