Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Quite An Impression(ist)

The lower level of the Orangerie is now home to the Jean Walter - Paul Guillaume collection of paintings, although the collection has been shown in the museum since the mid sixties. Somehow, I don't remember ever seeing these. It's hard for me to think that I didn't see some of them in the 1990s, but I just don't remember.

Cézanne, la barque et les baigneurs.

Well, I've seen them now. There are so many, and they're all beautiful and interesting, and the gallery was not at all crowded so we could enjoy strolling around and taking our time. In addition to the Impressionist paintings, the space includes beautiful works from a few Fauvist and Modernist artists.*

I'll just post my photos of a few of them and let them speak for themselves. Click on each for a larger view.

Renoir, pommes et poires.

Renoir, bouquet de tulipes.

Renoir, jeunes filles au piano.

Derain, le noir à la mandoline.

Derain, arlequin et pierrot.

More tomorrow...

* I know next to nothing about art, so I've relied on the internet for a bit of research.

6 comments:

  1. One of the best places in NA to view some impressionist collections is the AIC - Art Institute of Chicago- one place one shouldn't miss whilst visiting the city and if one does not have a chance to travel to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I know about art is from watching Sister Wendy. There are so many museums in DC and I hardly ever get inside them. It is so sad that I take for granted the amazing treasures in my own backyard. I vow do better and will do some similar postings in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Renoirs are beautiful, however my favorite French Impressionist would have to be Degas. Perhaps even over Monet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beaver, yes, they do have quite a few, although I've never been to see them.

    mark, looking forward to that!

    evol, I'm not sure I know enough to have a favorite, but I do like Degas' paintings and sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DO NOT ... DO NOT ... DO NOT ...
    miss Art Institute of Chicago's Impressionist collection if you have a chance to see it! Seurat's "Un dimanche après-midi à l'Île de la Grande Jatte" alone is worth the trip. But there's so much more! And, if you get tired of Impressionists (as if) the America Windows -- stained glass -- by Marc Chagall is also breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you like the Impressionists and especially Renoir, you should go see the Barnes Collection in suburban Philadelphia. There is more than one hundred Renoirs there, good and not so good.

    Dr. Barnes idea of a museum is not the same as mine, but what hangs on the walls is worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!