Friday, November 06, 2009

Friends And Family

On Wednesday I had two meals planned. The first was lunch downtown with fellow bloggers Walt and Sean. I met Sean last Saturday at the Miss Albany Diner. I was meeting Walt for the first time at lunch. The first thing he said to me when we met was, "You're short." Well, I am. But he's very tall.

Walt (not me) and Sean at lunch.

We met at the Albany Pump Station, a micro brewery that's been set up inside a former pump house that used to take water from the river and pump it up to a reservoir west of downtown. The building was built in the late 1800s. The pumps closed down in 1932, but the historic building escaped the wrecking ball.

Inside the Albany Pump Station.

Today it is home to the C.H. Evans brewing company which makes a variety of award winning beers, and a restaurant serving great burgers and other amazing sandwiches. I had a hamburger with fries and a couple of Evans' Quackenbush Blonde beers. Very tasty.

Quackenbush Blonde.

My dinner that evening was at my grandmother's place with my aunt. Gram baked a ham, made home made cole slaw, carrots, and baked sweet potatoes. She knows I love her ham, and still likes to make it when I come for a visit. It's very special, as Gram is now ninety years old. She can still cook up a storm!

Gram and me.

After dinner I came back to my friends' house in Delmar and we watched the Yankees win the world series. Great fun!

7 comments:

  1. Your grandmother looks lovely; hard to believe she is 90 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Walt, your grandmother must have been so happy to see you, and to cook for you :))

    Hey, I wonder if Gram is a Northeast phrasing for grandmother, because we always called my maternal grandmother Gram, but I don't think I know of anyone else who used that term. We used Mim for my paternal grandmother, because, as I understood it, it was short for Canadian French's Mimère. Gram was of Polish descent, Mim was of Quebecois descent. What is your family heritage, if I may ask?

    Glad you're still having a great time!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Gram is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walt and Sean look like two peas in a pod. Your gran looks lovely. Wish I still had a gran.
    (another thing to add to the list)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did the beer compare to that which you can get in France? Or, even more so, Germany or Belgium?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of that Brewery, and Gran's always make THE best meals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that picture of you and you gram. She's a beautiful woman!

    Donna in SF

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!