Sunday, May 02, 2010

Tarte aux fraises et à la rhubarbe

Saturday's market run netted me some terrific local strawberries known as gariguettes. They're spring berries and are among the most flavorful strawberries you can find. Gariguettes are tastier than any strawberry I ate in California, and I ate a lot. They're also a bit pricey, but they are so, so worth it during this very short season.

Rhubarb and strawberries, ready to go.

Couple that with the rhubarb that comes up every year in our garden and you have the makings for a strawberry-rhubarb pie. I used the recipe in the Joy Of Cooking as a base, but made mine as a single-crust pie rather than the traditional covered pie. We cut it for dessert on Saturday. It was still warm when we cut it, but that wasn't the best idea because the juices ran out all over the place. Still, it was delicious.

The finished pie.

Next time, if I do this again this year, I'll try to remember to let it cool for several hours before cutting into it to give the juices a chance to set up.

10 comments:

  1. That looks delicious.
    We are having rhubarb crumble for pudding this evening - the first of the year. I am really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be RIGHT over! I don't like rhubarb but you've spiked my interest and my taste buds! We'll have to do a "fruit tarte" get together in June!
    It looks stunning and most delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fruit-tarte get together sounds like heaven! :)

    Walt, the tarte looks amaaaaaaaaazing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the new headline style. It's easier to read. That beautiful pie would be perfect with my morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. j'adore tes photos, on a envie de craquer tant les photos sont belles :-) Bises ;-) Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing like fresh fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post titles look more French that way. As far as capitalized words are concerned, English is closer to German.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're already getting our first veggies out of the garden here: kale that somehow wintered over and began growing like crazy two weeks ago, and radishes planted less that two weeks ago.

    We both love rhubarb -- Fritz does great things with it as you, obviously, do too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jean, how did it turn out?

    leesa, rhubarb's good! But it needs lots of sugar.

    judy, thanks!

    diogenes, thanks... as CHM says below, it's the French style.

    mary, merci!

    starman, and it is!

    alewis, don't get fresh with me! ;)

    chm, ken agrees.

    will, we had collard greens (just harvested) that did the same thing. My radishes are just about ready and I need to plant another crop!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!