Tuesday, December 14, 2010

New trees in the market square

The central square in Saint-Aignan was renovated last summer. Mostly what they did was take out the old trees, tear up the asphalt, and rebuild the water, sewer, and electric lines. Then, of course, they re-paved the square in old-fashioned cobbles. When they finished, the square felt very bare. The planned new trees would not be planted until the fall.

Two of the new trees in the market square. They're barely visible in the center of the image.

Well, now the new trees are in. They are very young trees, barely taller than a man, and it will be a few years before they even begin to cast some shade in summer. All together there are seven trees in the square. I'm not sure what species they are, but once they leaf out this spring I should be able to tell.

It's strange when these renovations are done. I'm used to France seeming so old, with huge old trees lining the avenues and shading the public squares. I forget that all those old-looking places were new once, that they've likely been renovated once or twice over the centuries, and with young trees. I suppose I'm fortunate to see what the square looks like "as new." The shock of the bare and new will wear off over time, to be sure.

In twenty years, it might look old again.

7 comments:

  1. I can't 20 years. I'm an American and I "deserve" what I want and when I want it. And I want it now!
    Okay, how did I do sounding like an American tourist in France? I've been practicing.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps they are plane trees- I hope they grow quicky and like their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe sooner than twenty years. Depends on what they are! I had a tree that was advertised as growing 30 feet in five years and it surpassed that, but it was not a good hard wood, and it's already fallen in a storm last summer, only about 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what they've done with the street. It took me a while to "see" the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It always surprises me how quickly we adjust to changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't find the trees until after I read your instructions on the location!
    St. Aignan seems very untouristy! You must really feel like you're becoming a local denizen of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mark, very good, indeed!

    evelyn, we shall see.

    kristi, I guess it'll depend on the kind of tree it is...

    starman, the newness is already starting to wear, which is good.

    mark in de, ;)

    mary, and I've got the papers to prove it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!