Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Monday morning in the vineyard

This was a week ago Monday. It was that same frosty morning I've been showing you lately. Callie and I walk out this dirt road to the end and back. This is about halfway out. Our mornings have been very nice lately. Lots of sun, few clouds.

A few morning clouds in an otherwise blue sky over the vineyards.

And the nights are brilliant, too. When it's clear (and cold this time of year), the stars are amazing. Looking in this direction (roughly west) right now from our windows in the evening we can see the waxing crescent moon accompanied by Venus and Jupiter. Later in the night (I'm often up wandering around at some point in the middle of the night), I can see the constellation Orion big and bright in the same direction.

I'm looking forward to summer when I can be outside after dark looking at the stars. If I can stay awake that long; the stars aren't visible until ten o'clock or later in the summer.

17 comments:

  1. 10 o'clock at night? You're so wild, Walt!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. Sometimes I stay up until 10:30!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Once again, you've given us a photo that looks like a painting. No wonder so many painters were attracted to the vineyards to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that what all those people are doing out there? ;)

      Delete
  3. Walt,

    My first thought "That's a painting!" WOW! Absolutely breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I wasn't even going to post this photo. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  4. You are up in the middle of the night in winter, but in bed by 10 in the summer? Something is wrong with this picture, but nothing is wrong with your photos, absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually in bed between 10 and 10:30 all year long. Maybe a little later in the summer, since it stays light so late. I rarely sleep through the night, however. Must be an artifact of my stressful working days.

      Delete
  5. This photo looks like a Corot painting.
    Happy Leap Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10:00 in summer? We're just sitting down to dinner. No problem.

    That photo is a breathtakingly beautiful work of art. Wow. Wow! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must be doing something wrong. Yours is the only Blogger posts that still require the word verification things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only one? Wow. Makes me feel kind of special... ;)

      Delete
  8. Walt... this might work as a "watercolour" using the Photyshop plugin...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this time of year for evening stargazing. All the winter constellations are crowded in the west. Venus and Jupiter will look very spectacular in a few weeks as they 'pass' each other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My comment yesterday didn't print - so I just let it go.
    I thought the clouds were really eye-taking.

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!