Thursday, March 15, 2012

Not too far afield

Just down the hill from our house, through the woods, there's a big field that is cultivated every year. Last year it was filled with colza (rapeseed). When that was all plowed under last fall, the farmer planted a winter crop of some kind of grass. I saw him last week out there spreading fertilizer pellets with his tractor.

The winter crop looks lush and green right now.

I wonder if this grass is actually some kind of grain that will take off now that it's spring, or if there's another crop planned. I've seen wheat and/or barley in this field in certain years. I don't remember ever seeing corn or sunflowers here, however.

Once the grapes start growing I won't get down there much. The vineyard is separated from the woods where the path is by an electric fence. When there's danger of the deer eating the grape flowers (in spring), the fence is activated and Callie and I steer clear.

I made good progress on cleaning the drains. That's a job well done. Now I need to get back outside and do some more tree trimming. Thankfully, the weather is good.

6 comments:

  1. It's almost certainly wheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan... I was going to type in Winter Wheat too!

      Delete
  2. Ken, at least Callie doesn't "cock a leg".... my first wife's parents Border Collie had a "shocking" accident with an electrified fence while we were out walking once... needless to say we added to his suffering by all bursting out laughing... poor old Lad... he went the rest of the way in the dead centre of the track between both fields... and let us go ahead in case there were more surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever it is, it's pretty!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take good care of your neck and back this year! What a striking photo. So, I hope you didn't learn by experience about that fence being electrified. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. susan, thanks. I wouldn't recognize it until it has seed heads!

    tim, ouch! Callie did hit the electric fence once. First and last time.

    mark, I agree!

    mitch, no, I've never been shocked! I can usually see when they're hooked up. They use car batteries to power them and they're only powered up during the flowering stage of the grapes.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!