Sunday, August 05, 2012

A writin' spider

That's what Ken calls this variety of garden spider. It's apparently a very common spider throughout the world, each species with it's own characteristic "writing" in the center of the web. That silk pattern supposedly plays a role in attracting insects to the web.

A writing spider perched in the center of its web, waiting. Click to arachnify.

The big spiders seen here are almost certainly females since the males are much smaller. These are two different spiders that I saw in the vineyard the other day. Just as I was about to take one of these photos, a small insect flew into the web and the spider dashed down to dispatch it. That was pretty cool to see.

This spider just made a catch...

...and then went back to the center of the web to sit some more.

8 comments:

  1. I think it is an orb spider. Beautiful web!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See Susans "Days on the Claise" post of today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, your spider web and spider photos are wild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the things I learn from you! This is amazing. I've seen plenty of orb weavers and watched one for more than an hour one night as it performed its brilliant artistry. But I've never seen this "writing" before. Fascinating. (And your photos are incredible... as usual!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like spiders. Not on me but to watch. I also have these "writing spiders" in my backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nadege, yes, I think so.

    pollygarter, I did. Funny coincidence!

    judy, like, a wild kingdom!

    mitch, I don't think I've seen one of these writers before I moved to France.

    susan, :)

    ron, we live with a lot of spiders here. They eat a lot of other nasty things, so we like them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!