Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Moving right along

On Monday I got the chainsaw out, topped up its oil and fuel tanks, changed the chain (luckily, the spare chain had been sharpened last season), and got all the remaining bits of miscellaneous wood and kindling cut to size. Then I cut twenty of the standard logs.

A view of our hamlet from out among the vines. Click to hamlify.

What I call the "standard" logs are the meter-long logs that we bought. They're mostly already split (even though I will split some of the fatter ones further), but I have to saw them into lengths that will fit inside our wood burner. We have a stove that takes up to 40cm long logs rather than the more common 50cm logs. You can tell that we really didn't know what we were doing when we let the stove guy talk us into that smaller model six years ago.

The smaller capacity means that I have to make two cuts per log instead of just one. Live and learn. Still, it's not that difficult, and it's easier to lug smaller logs upstairs to the stove than larger ones.

So today my goal is to do at least thirty logs. Two cuts per log equals sixty cuts, resulting in ninety smaller logs to stack for burning this winter. I'm hopeful to have the entire log pile cut and stacked within a week.

7 comments:

  1. This is my obligatory "so butch" comment :-)
    How about shooting some video of you having fun with the chainsaw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew. That's more work than I'd want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon courage and good luck meeting your own deadline.

    BTW: are you watching the election campaigns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More important, have you requested your absentee ballots? And received them?
      I requested months ago, but have not received my ballot. My son got his a few days ago, so I called the board of elections and the guy said mine was sent out on the 6th. Instead of just sending me another one, he asked me to keep on waiting and if, by the end of the month I don't get it, to ask for another one. I think that's a bit long to wait. I had already alerted my Congressman and got a reply (after my call to the board, of course) that his staff would look into it. Four years ago, I never got my ballot and had to use the emergency federal ballot. As an active campaigner for overseas voter rights, I suspect a more of us have this kind of problem.

      Delete
  4. You guys remind me of "la cigale et la fourmi". It is a good feeling reading your preparations for winter.
    Between the new window, wood cutting, canning.... I think you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about the rest of you, but perhaps if I was writing a blog I would be better prepared for winter, too!!! No, I think the two of you are just well organized and you both seem to enjoy the preparations.

    Congrats on your choosing the smaller stove, Walt. I think hauling the logs would be a good enough reason for me. Cutting the extra cuts is easier than hauling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. cubby, I haven't done video in a long time. I have a hard time editing it preparing it for the web.

    judy, teaching high school French is more work than I'd want to do!

    t.b., merci. We're reading about them online.

    nadege, we're getting there. And congratulations on your win!

    mary, being retired gives us the time to do things... although there are always more things to do than time to do them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!