Sunday, November 25, 2012

Another dining room at Chaumont

This dining room is more modern than the last one I showed you, and probably where the last castle owners held their dinner parties (I'm only guessing here). It's on the ground floor of the castle in one of the wings that doesn't include the royal apartments.

The table is set!

I'm glad you enjoyed yesterday's recipe. Here's the recipe I used for the savory mini cannelés.

Les cannelés bordelais salés
  • 25 cl milk
  • 30 g butter
  • 1 whole egg plus 1 egg yolk
  • 50 g all purpose flour
  • salt and pepper
  • your choice of garnish

Bring the milk and butter to a boil. In a large bowl, mix the flour, egg, and egg yolk until combined (I used a stand mixer). Incorporate the hot milk/butter little by little while mixing vigorously. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mix into the batter whatever garnish you're using. I made two different kinds, so I divided the batter into two equal parts. In the first half, I added 25 g of grated Cantal cheese and 40 g of finely chopped cooked crispy bacon. In the second half, I added 25 g of finely crumbled Roquefort cheese and 25 g chopped toasted walnuts.

Pour the batter into mini cannelé molds (I have a silicone mold that makes 15 cannelés; I think you could also use a mini muffin mold). Fill the molds to 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated 210ºC (410ºF) oven. I actually turned the oven down to 200ºC after the first five minutes. Bake for 20 minutes. keep an eye on them so they don't get over done. Let them cool a little, turn them out of the molds onto a rack to let them cool completely. The cannelés will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two and can be re-heated to crisp them up before serving.

My mold makes 15 cannelés, so I made batches. The recipe says it's for 30 mini cannelés, but I actually got 42 in total. You can also experiment with the garnishes. Some ideas include smoked salmon/dill, mozzarella/sun dried tomato/basil, chopped olives, and chopped foie gras/fig.

11 comments:

  1. You beat me to the punch. Here's a post I have scheduled for February of next year: http://blog.hertzmann.com/all.php?pg=0&id=01141

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouthwatering. I've emailed your post to my cousin in San Diego, who is a great francophile and loves making cannelés. I've been encouraging her to follow yours and Ken's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Walt for this recipe. I will be trying these as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try this as soon as we've finished the chocolate caramel tartlets that are in our mini-muffin pan at the moment.

    I see the LA Times preferred the silicone cannele pan to metal. I haven't had good luck with silicone pans, but if it's good enough for you and the LA Times, I might just buy one. Call me cheap, but I'm definitely not buying the copper one I saw in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can get your oven to 300C the silicone moulds will work OK. They don't give quite the toffee-like coating that the copper ones do, but copper is way too expensive for something you only make once in a long while, and it needs regular maintenance. The compromise is acceptable in my opinion.

      Delete
  5. We had the same type of weather last night - woke me up several times plus we were/are still under O Celsius .That's was very nice for your picture and now may be the ad agency will keep "following' you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walt,

    Would this dining room be available if Dr. Spo decides to visit France?

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer the other dining room. I trust there was no damage from the wind?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the use of your photo by Apple! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of a cannele. I had to look it up. Eating in France remains an amazement for me. Everything seems lovely and tasty and good - unlike here where 'food is fuel' and no one (few anyway) give a darn about taste, style or quality. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walt, these were good with bacon and Jarlsberg, very good in fact! One question, how thick or runny is the batter supposed to be? I added a little more flour, figuring my equivalents may have been off. I baked some in regular muffin pans and some in the mini-muffin tin.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!