Monday, November 12, 2012

Eglise Saint-Nicolas

Here's another of Blois' many churches, Saint-Nicolas. This one is built down below the château, closer to the river. It was begun in the twelfth century as part of an abbey complex and was completed early in the thirteenth century. The other parts of the abbey were destroyed in subsequent religious wars, but they were rebuilt in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

L'église Saint-Nicolas on the Loire River at Blois.

I should mention again that Blois is the seat of un évêché catholique (a Catholic bishopric or diocese) and as such is home to a cathedral as well as these churches. The cathedral is located up on another bluff across town from the château. I've noticed that I have a couple photos with the top of the cathedral's tower in them; I may post them later.

3 comments:

  1. Now, that's a photo with a lot of stone in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could push a button and be there right now, or maybe chose a warmer sunnier day although I love a foggy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of these places being rebuilt in more contemporary times, like the 17th and 18th centuries!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!