Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Some more Chambord

As usual, I took a bunch of photos on my most recent visit to Chambord, so you get to see a few of them here. I have been inside the château several times. In my opinion, it's worth doing, maybe once. But the castle is cavernous and mostly empty (not much furniture), so you really have to be into the architecture and have a good imagination to enjoy it. Not to mention a lot of time, since it takes a while to explore.

You can rent these pedal-cars and ride around the grounds of Chambord.

I advise visitors that, especially if they have a limited amount of time, other castles are more worth the entrance fee than this one. Chambord is definitely worth seeing, but mostly from the outside.

9 comments:

  1. Walt, do you and Ken vote from abroad? Or are you, like us, unable to vote in elections because you have moved abroad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the four-wheeled pedal car looks very much like an old Ford.

      Delete
    2. Tim, I can't answer for Ken and Walt, but we overseas Americans can vote from abroad; we are registered at our last US residence, or in the case of my children, at the parent's last US voting address. We have to renew our overseas absentee ballot requests every year. In most states, we are limited to federal elections (Senate, House, President).
      As US citizens, we are subject to US tax regulations (the US is one of very few -- only one other, in fact -- that taxes on citizenship and not just residence and therefore keeps fiscal tabs on its people abroad. Since one of the mantras of the revolution was "no taxation without representation", it is only right that we can vote.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ellen, that is interesting. We have effectively excomunicated ourselves...

      Delete
  2. Love those little pedal cars, but I would prefer to walk around the castle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Lewis' encounter with stinging nettles in the lawn of Chambord. I think I learned later that they are edible, but I doubt if Lewis will ever taste any.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so very much like my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intéressante, cette opposition en les couleurs, les époques, et entre le mouvement et l'immobilité, l'éphémère et le permanent...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!