Thursday, May 16, 2013

Purple flowers - A Pic a Day in May #16

I only know of two places out around the vineyards where these purple flowers bloom. I'm sure there are more, but I've only encountered the two on my routine walks with Callie. I can't find a match in the wildflower identification site I use, so if any of you recognize it, I'd appreciate your help.

A pretty purple flower that grows in bunches around the vineyard parcels.

Today I am on the road while Ken is home with the animules. I have to have a form notarized (a peculiar US custom) related to my retirement pension, and the US Embassy in Paris provides the service. So I made the required appointment and am taking the train up and back today to get it done.

10 comments:

  1. Walt... the flower is Ragged Robin... a member of the Campion family... and likes marshy ground, so I would guess that the soil where it occurs is wetter than the surrounding soil... perhaps due to a bit of soil compaction by the vineyard machinery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the flower petals remind me of bird feet. pretty!

    and I can see the embassy in my mind, as I saw it in person 43 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While we were visiting Québec a few years back, we had to have a document notarized, and what a confusing undertaking that was! In the U.S., there's usually someone at your hotel who can provide that service, but our hotel did not. They were super helpful in finding us the right spot to go, but it was pretty confusing -- and it was a good thing that I spoke French!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it that you have friends who know their plants- thanks, Tim. Ragged Robin is a great name too.
    I hope your trip goes well, Walt. Paris is always good, even in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys had that 59 F temperature for few days now. Hope you had a great day in Paris reconnecting with friends and "taking care of business".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what I learn here. Thanks for introducing the flower and thanks to Tim for telling what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tim for informing me about that flower, too! I've never seen it before now - but I like it!
    Too bad it takes so long to get to Paris - I hadn't realized it was so far. Hope you enjoyed your friends and the trip went quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a lovely day in Paris, and that you manage to fit in a few fun things and not only take care of business.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any reason to go to Paris is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no! that's a YOU KNOW WHAT !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!