Friday, July 12, 2013

The only brew for the brave and true...

...comes from the Green Dragon. Ok, there's an obscure reference for you. I thought it was fitting to go with this shot of a green dragonfly. He was sitting on the ground the other morning waiting for the sun to warm him up. Of course, I didn't have the macro lens on the camera so I couldn't get a really close shot.

You can drink your fancy ales, you can drink 'em by the flagon...

I had the telephoto lens, so I stood about five feet away and zoomed in for this photo. Didn't come out too badly. Today we're heading to a local outdoor market for fun and food. I may take the camera...

10 comments:

  1. You did well with this green dragon photo. I'm loving summer too, when it's not raining .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this insect before. and I have never heard the slogan; I am assuming it's for a brand of beer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that you're finally getting lovely summer weather-- and have friends visiting to enjoy sharing it with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What superb body armour, it looks like something out of Star Wars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good photo of a male Common Clubtail Gomphus vulgatissimus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photo. Something like this pic would only occur by pure accident if I were zooming and shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm pretty sure that lyric is from the Hobbit, but one of my favorite places in Boston is the Green Dragon Tavern. Beautiful photo of the dragon fly, Walt, and might I say a very nice profile photo of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those wings are so interesting. I've never been up close and personal with a dragonfly. We have a nature preserve nearby that PBS documented about a perfect place for dragonfly spotting! Guess I'll need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. evelyn, we're in a dry spell at the moment, and that's nice.

    anne marie, close, it's a song that a couple of hobbits sang in a movie.

    judy, yes!

    pollygarter, I agree!

    susan, you can say that again... I'm sure I can't! lol

    casey, I was lucky that he stayed put long enough.

    bill, yes, it's a song Merry and Pippin sang in The Lord of the Rings movie (I think it was The Return of the King).

    mary, some are very big, like this one, so they're easy to spot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any closer and you would have been on the other side of it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!