Sunday, September 22, 2013

Morning wood

If that doesn't get me a bunch of hits, I don't know what will. On Saturday morning, our wood was delivered. The guys dumped it onto our driveway and Ken and I spent about an hour stacking it. Now it's time to start the cutting. This wood should get us through the winter. We don't heat exclusively with wood, or else we'd need a lot more. The wood stove is a supplement to our oil-fired heating system and thus saves us money on expensive fuel-oil.

This is about 5 stères, or 5 cubic meters, of oak. It should be enough to get us through the season.

I have to cut each of these logs into three pieces. Each log is one meter long, about three feet. I make two cuts, resulting in three sections of about thirty-three centimeters each. That's the length that fits into our wood-burning stove. I have probably three weeks worth of cutting to do, depending on the weather. That's because I don't cut a lot at any one time. I cut and stack maybe thirty logs each morning, then quit for lunch.

And we all know that lunch is the most important meal of the day. My day, anyway.

13 comments:

  1. Happy fall! I am glad you are ready for winter. Hopefully it will be mild!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're a real early riser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a handsome wood pile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Petit à petit, l'oiseau fait son stack of wood!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, that got me reading! There is nothing like the smell of a log fire in Autumn! Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I'm sure you will have a great appetite after sawing up thirty logs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice stacking job - but then you've both had plenty of experience, right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whether morning or otherwise, one yard is a little bit long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Hey Evol! Long time... how are you doing?

      Delete
    2. I'm good thanks! Glad you guys are keeping well :-) I watched this great wine documentary recently and thought of you and your blog! I think you might like it http://www.red-obsession.com/

      Delete

Tell me what you think!