Friday, February 21, 2014

Pussy willow

These saules (willows) grow all around the edges of the vineyards. Right now they are flowering, their fuzzy buds popping out in our late winter's warmth. I also noticed that our forsythia is starting to flower.

The willow's flowers are called chatons in French (catkins, from the Dutch kattenken, meaning kittens).

Both of these plants flower in early spring, so it's not surprising to see them now. I'm hoping we don't have a spring freeze this year. That could kill the early buds and blossoms and affect the fruit and nut crops.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful shot. I have to say I find it a bit sensual. Oh-la-la.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had buds already all over our star magnolia tree, but then got hit with severe cold, below zero F. temps for several days, and single digits after that. I'm wondering how our tree will fare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has got to be the most beautiful image of a pussy willow I've ever seen. I used to love to force huge bunches of forsythia by cutting long branches off and soaking them in the bathtub. I do miss that.. although I don't miss the climate that is so good for forsythia. And pussy willow always brings back wonderful memories. We used to cut bunches from our backyard and bring them to my grandmother in "the city."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never noticed that vivid red below a pussy willow bud before now! Perhaps it's your keen eye, Walt, or perhaps it's the variety of willow.
    Anyway, to me it looks like a dried cranberry or cherry - the latter is perfect for President's Day...

    Oh - and yesterday's photo of the acorns with that vivid orange was so striking. Thank you again for making my mornings so colorful!


    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  5. stuart, lol!

    judy, good luck!

    mitch, I've never forced forsythia. Something to try...

    mary, they look a little like popcorn to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!