Friday, May 16, 2014

Asparagus season is upon us

We live in one of the two major asparagus producing regions of France. The other is les Landes, down near the Atlantic coast south of Bordeaux. White asparagus is the crop and we enjoy it every spring. It's been available in the markets for a while now, but I usually wait for a few weeks to pass while the price comes down.

White asparagus, peeled, trimmed, and cooked, ready for eating.

We ate some of these as a side dish the other day, then I used the rest to make my annual asparagus tarte. I wrap a few of the spears in a slice of ham and bake the little packets into a cheesy egg custard in a pie shell. Tasty!

The finished tarte.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum. Asparagus in a blanket !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, a rectangular tarte tin! I want one! preferably with that asparagus tart in it. P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good! I imagine they will be out of season by the time we get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday,I'll have to make this! It always looks so delicious.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!