Saturday, August 30, 2014

All is not lost

Even with the blight taking out much of our tomato crop, I still managed to pick a good-sized basket of tomatoes on Friday. They're mostly not finished ripening, so we've put them in paper bags with apples to help them along. If I left them on the vine to ripen, they'd probably succumb. The cucumbers are doing very well; I picked four of them yesterday. And the green beans have been wildly successful.

We got 4 or 5 of these potimarrons (red kuri squash). They have a nice chestnutty flavor.

The three sisters garden plot is okay. There are winter squash, but not as many as I thought there would be. That's probably just as well since we still have three squash in the cellar from last year's crop. The corn stalks have ears, but they look rather small. The climbing beans are producing, too.

The Swiss chard is amazing. We've had one harvest already and there is plenty more out there. The peppers have set fruit, so it's up to the weather as to how well they do. The eggplants are not so good, with leaves dropping off. Some of them have blossoms and there are a couple of tiny eggplants. But, like with the peppers, it's all up to the weather now.

12 comments:

  1. That's a good-looking red kuri! Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful squash! Sorry to hear about the tomatoes but I was glad to hear about the bag trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kuri squash is a great favorite of mine. I just pierce it all over and
    cook it in the microwave until soft. When it's cool, just open and
    scrape the flesh which can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
    Much easier than trying to cut open with a chef's knife and then bake
    in the oven.

    Do they sell blight-resistant tomato seed in France? They're available
    from some of the better seed houses here in the States.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sheila, I haven't looked for them, but I may. I've currently got a good stock of tomato seeds, so I'm reluctant to get more.

      Delete
  4. I was about to say Halloween when I saw the orange in your picture :-) then I saw potimarrons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've had or even heard of red kuri squash. The one in the photo is a stunner! So perfectly formed. I'm going to go read about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you managed to get a basket-full of tomatoes. I was wondering if you might be able to pick some and let them ripen off the vine. Great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That potimarron is a beauty! I tried my hand at kobacha squash this year. Every single seed saved from last year sprouted, and there are a number of little ones now. You actually inspired me to save the seeds and just plop 'em in the ground !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. christine, you have to be careful with saved seeds because sometimes what grows from them looks nothing like the fruit you saved them from. I've had some surprises that way!

      Delete
    2. Well the ones I planted look OK, but let's see if they taste like something else!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful vegatable ready for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm late: I am sad to hear about the toms. What a loss.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!