Thursday, October 09, 2014

Throwback Thursday

I think the year was 1994, twenty years ago now, when Ken and I spent a few days in Las Vegas with my cousin, Kim, who flew in from Florida. We stayed at the then-brand-new Luxor hotel, a sleek black high-rise pyramid with the full blown ancient Egyptian theme. It was my first time ever in Las Vegas and we had a great time taking it all in.

Me and my cousin in front of the Sphinx at the Luxor resort, Las Vegas, summer 1994.

It was August and hotter than heck outdoors. So hot, in fact, that one night, after a fancy dinner with lots of adult beverages, we actually took a taxi across the street to the MGM Grand hotel for some gambling fun rather than walk (five of us stuffed ourselves into one cab). The next day we were terribly slightly hung-over and spent the day poolside at Luxor. Kim rented one of those cabanas with cool mist, a stocked fridge, table service (more drinks), and a cabana boy that came by every hour or so to put cold towels around our necks. Ah, that was the life!

Blurry photo of me hanging out in the cabana at poolside.

We actually ended up going back to Las Vegas again with Kim a few years later. That time we stayed at Caesar's Palace. Again, we had a blast. We even visited the Debbie Reynolds museum. A few years ago, Kim left muggy hurricane-prone Florida and moved to Las Vegas, and she loves it. Like they say, it's a dry heat.

8 comments:

  1. I do like the description of a cabana. Maybe I will have to rethink my anti US West Coast visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmmmm, for some reason I am loving today's pix...and it ain't the vegas scenery! WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt,
    I love your Throwback Thursdays!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Egyptian monument.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cabana boys are not a myth, then? Great reminiscence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was a fun trip. The anniversary dinner at the Luxor Steakhouse was dandy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a great trip, wasn't it? Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Wolf Whistle* the WCS centerfold! Lol! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!