Tuesday, March 10, 2015

It's not this cold

Last week we were still having morning low temperatures around freezing. That meant frost, and sometimes a little ice forming on the puddles. It wasn't cold enough for the puddles to freeze through as they often do, but they started to before the sun came up and melted the ice.

Ice patterns forming on the surface of a puddle.

I dug up most of the rhubarb in the garden so that I can divide and relocate it. I did that last week. The ground was a muddy mess and I made a mess of the job. I didn't realize how deep the tubers had gone and ended up chopping through most of them with the shovel. But yesterday I noticed that a lot of the chunks have the beginnings of sprouts, so now I can see where to divide them and get them back into the ground today or tomorrow. I won't have usable rhubarb until next year or the year after, but that's ok.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Walt, that's a very cool photo! (no pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo! Unfortunately, rhubarb is one plant I cannot eat, I get violently sick if I do. You can have all of it. (smile)
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo. So crispy clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At my place mornings are very cold but days are sunny and hot.. Spring definitely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating photo
    Never mind the rhubarb though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. judy, thanks! I was lucky.

    ron, I really like rhubarb, so I'm glad I don't have the same reaction!

    jon, thanks! Sometimes it works.

    martine, yes!

    gosia, hot? Wow!

    michael, another one! I didn't know that many people don't like rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walt,
    I don't know why I had that reaction to rhubarb pie all those years ago but it was really bad. I thought I was going to die, that's how violent my body reacted to that deathly sweet rhubarb pie. I've never had a reaction like that since to any food.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!