Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Rhubarb, transplanted

After I had dug up the rhubarb over a week ago, I let it sit on the ground, thinking I had hacked it to bits and it would never come back. It rained for a few days, and then, later, I noticed bright red sprouts growing out of the mud-caked clumps. Once they dried out a little, I prepared their new home and transplanted about six new clumps.

One of the newly transplanted clumps of rhubarb with fresh growth sprouting.

So far, so good. The sprouts seem to be growing, so I'm hopeful. I know there will be no harvest this year, but that's ok. It was time to divide and move the rhubarb out of the larger garden plots for a fresh start.

9 comments:

  1. Now get some nice rich fumier to cover the plants with....
    it will keep them moist and acid and feed them, all at the same time...
    they like it like that.
    NB: it is difficult to kill rhubarb...
    have you removed ALL traces from the old site...
    if not, you might get a few more to transplant!
    We ended up with eight huge plants on our allotments...
    luverly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Walt, I'm getting woozy. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a marvel how some things will grow no matter what you do to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gardening work is never done, is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuart... have you found that gardening work seems to become exponential..
      as you add another bed here and there... and then another... and..............

      Delete
  5. In Poland is not popular one now..

    ReplyDelete
  6. tim, I hope you're right!

    ron, sorry! But I do like it.

    judy, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    mitch, luckily for me!

    stuart, it goes on, and on, more than Celine Dion's heart.

    gosia, too bad, if you happen to like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, you should be able to get a small crop this year...
      one or two stems per plant a week...
      but....
      stop picking by the end of May and let the big leaves feed the root...
      and remember, plenty of water and plenty of rich manure!!!

      Delete

Tell me what you think!