Saturday, April 11, 2015

What's on tv

I've not seen Game of Thrones, even though it is shown here in English (our satellite system lets us choose to watch many programs either in their original language or dubbed into French). I haven't even read the novels. And what is it about fantasy authors having two middle names that begin with "R" anyway? The inspiration for Game of Thrones is the series of novels called A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, published in 1996. Among my favorite novels is The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien, published in 1954. Hmm...

Season 5 of Game of Thrones starts this month.

What not to watch this week. Our tv magazine rates shows and movies using a star system: one star is ok, four stars is best. They use another symbol for really bad movies: the red dot. It means "à zapper" (change the channel!). The editors often include comments about the movie that make me laugh.

This is among many entries in the "climate change is causing bad storms" category.

Super Cyclone. American made-for-tv movie. Directed by Liz Adams, 2010.
With Ming-Na Wen, Nicholas Turturro, and Andy Clemence.
A massive tornado heads for the American east coast. A meteorologist and a petroleum engineer join forces to try to stop the threat.
The special effects are mediocre, the acting is bad, and the whole story is highly unlikely. Pathetic!
For adults and teenagers.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, so sad (not) that Super Cyclone hasn't made its way here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I don't watcg TV I prefer theInternet and books or blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I type I hear Someone in the other room watching Game of Thrones. I want to see this series some day when there is time to do so. which is probably never.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!