Sunday, June 28, 2015

Wild chicory is bustin' out all over

You can tell it's summer. Not only are we in for a hot week, but the summer wildflowers are doing their thing. The beautiful blues of chicorée sauvage (wild chicory) dot the fields and roadsides through the vineyards out back. I think we used to call this "cornflower" back when I was kid, but I could be wrong about that.

Wild chicory.

As I type this, a hot air balloon is flying over the vineyards behind our house. It's moving roughly northwest in the early morning sun. If it keeps that heading, it may end up over the château at Chaumont on the Loire. If it turns more to the west, it will likely fly over the château at Chenonceaux on the Cher. Either way, the views will be spectacular!

5 comments:

  1. We called them bachelor buttons in Kentucky. They don't like our acidic soil in Alabama. I miss them. Thanks for this good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have different flowers here that are bachelor's buttons - but they are fun, aren't they? I've never seen cornflowers, so maybe now I have!

    I don't think I would be willing to pay for a balloon ride. How much is it in France? Must be a fabulous sensation sailing over those lushly manicured grounds and the rich chateaux... oh well, back to cutting out the blackberries before the blistering sun makes me stay inside!

    Mary in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt,
    I remember chicory growing along the roadsides when we lived in Pennsylvania. Interestingly, I don't see any of this "weed" down her in Delaware.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!