Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Meltdown

When we woke up on Tuesday morning, we still had a lot of snow on the ground. Of course, that depends on the definition of "a lot," but I would say that most of the snow that had fallen on Monday was still out there. We had little to no wind, so snow was still covering most tree branches. Then, gradually, the day warmed up and it began to melt.

Snow was still falling when I took this photo on Monday afternoon. More than an inch had accumulated on the deck railing.

The trees dripped all day, and chunks of snow started falling from them. Big puddles formed on the deck so that I had to go out and push away the snow dams that were preventing the water from draining off. Little rivers formed out in the vineyard as the snow became water and started making its way downhill toward the river.

Tree branches covered in snow, before it began to melt.

This morning the snow is mostly gone, although I can see traces of it in the coldest parts of the back yard, mostly in the shadow of the big hedge along the road. So much for the "blizzard" of January 2016.

7 comments:

  1. Further south of you, we have just got rain, rain, heavy wetting mist and sodden ground. Dog walks are a muddy job, I wonder if the dog really enjoys them when it's like this. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're getting snow... the tropics are sounding very good just now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were up at Bléré yesterday and once we got up onto the champeigne Tourangelle (the plateau between Loches and Bléré) there were little patches of snow in many places, but we had already lost all of ours in Preuilly. Apparently the local kids got the day off school on Monday. Not because they couldn't get to school, but with the orange alert the schools were worried they wouldn't be able to get home and didn't want to take the risk. Parents who were prepared to deliver and pick up their kids personally were allowed to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got some nice photos before it melted away :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is so picturesque. I had a bit of a meltdown this morning. Yours is prettier, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. After all my whining about not getting snow here, on the day we leave for the States, here it comes. We left Amboise too early in the morning to get any shots. It was just an odd coincidence that I had queued up in advance the snow photo from three years ago on ADP. Anyway, thanks for showing me what I missed. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. potty, Callie doesn't mind the mud. She also likes walking through puddles just so she can take a taste!

    jacqueline, I'll bet!

    susan, I heard that they cancelled the transports scolaires over there.

    judy, of course, we had to make time in our busy schedules...

    mitch, I'm sure... hope all is well.

    stuart, winter is young, we may have more. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!