Thursday, March 17, 2016

En panne

That means "out of order" or, in this case, "broke down." I had to get close to the tractor before I noticed this sign, hastily scrawled and taped to the inside of the cab window. But it explained everything.

The general condition. Out of gas would be "une panne d'essence," a flat tire would be "une crevaison."

I still don't know if the tractor has been moved. I will find out this morning when Callie and I go for our morning walk. We're out that way every other morning. Now that things have started to dry out, we're taking our evening walks down the hill again. It's still quite muddy at the bottom, but we can navigate it without too much difficulty, and I enjoy the climb back up the hill.

UPDATE: I checked. It's still out there.

4 comments:

  1. I would have translated it either as "in pain" or "in bread."

    ReplyDelete
  2. my new favorite word! en panne! I wonder if they use it in Canada?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!