Thursday, March 03, 2016

Turkey cordon bleu

I had one escalope of turkey left and wanted to have it for lunch on Wednesday. What to do? Cordon bleu, of course!.  I pounded the escalope to flatten it a little more. Then I lined it with some leftover grated lardons (smoked bacon) and a layer of grated cheese. I rolled the whole thing up, wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it rest for about twenty minutes to set.

A rolled cordon bleu, whether veal, chicken, or turkey, is easier to make and prettier than the chicken Kiev that we recently made.

During that time I started the oven and prepared the coating by seasoning some flour, beating an egg, and putting some panko breadcrumbs in a bowl. I unwrapped the cordon bleu, rolled it in the seasoned flour, then in the egg, and lastly in the breadcrumbs. It went into a 180ºC (350ºF) oven for what turned out to be about 35 minutes. As you can see, I served it with some leftover out-of-focus peas. A tasty lunch!

4 comments:

  1. That really looks good...and far prettier, as you say!
    Can you get "out of focus peas" in tins... or do you have to freeze your own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when you roll an escalope, you do it with style :) Nice photo, and the peas make a nice color contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Good to know Ken's plane arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!