Saturday, August 20, 2016

Mine Lot Falls

There can be more water than this tumbling over the cliff above the Indian Ladder, but this wasn't bad. I've seen Mine Lot Falls pretty dry in the past. Here are some views from my walk in May.

Hikers gather below the fall next to where an underground stream exits the cliff face.

Looking out toward the valley from behind the waterfall.

Big blocks of rock fall off the cliff face at this spot, probably worn loose by the water.

A closer view of the top of the fall.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. I love it. Except maybe that part about the falling boulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walt, your pictures made me realy feel I was walking there myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring was a nice time to visit I think. You got some nice photos for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really stunning photos, Walt. I don't believe I have ever been there, despite growing up in the Albany area. My parents probably thought it was too dangerous then, if they did not have the fences up. I do remember going to a lake in the Helderbergs in the summer that was open to the public. They had a dock, changing booths, and a little snack bar upstairs where you could get a cheeseburger and buy comic books. Summer heaven for a nine year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stuart, I know what you mean. I never think about it until afterwards.

    jan, thanks!

    gosia, :)

    evelyn, the leaves were not mature so they let in a good amount of light. Fall is a nice time, too.

    kiwi, sounds like a good memory. We camped a lot when I was a kid, often at Thompson's Lake near Thacher Park, but more often up in the Adirondacks.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!