Friday, September 23, 2016

Up close and grapey

I think the grape harvest is getting started. I noticed a group of people out back doing what looked to me like harvesting a parcel by hand on Thursday morning. I'm guessing it won't be long until we see (and hear) the mechanical harvesters out there.

I think this varietal is sauvignon rose, also called sauvignon gris. The mature grapes are pink in color.

The weather remains dry. I think that's a good thing for the growers, allowing them to time the harvest for when the grapes are at their peak rather than having to hurry to get them in before they rot. The season started off very wet, but the summer was dry and hot. It will be interesting to taste the 2016 vintage next year.

3 comments:

  1. evelyn, we've been watching and waiting.

    anne marie, I hadn't thought of that, but you're right!

    kiwi, that too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!