Monday, January 23, 2017

Feed the birds

The other day I mentioned the two bird feeders out in the yard. This is one of them. It hangs from the decorative structure over the back yard well (the real fake well). You'd think I could have taken a photo with birds on the feeder, but they disappeared when I took out the camera.

The cylindrical feeder has four perches with access to the seeds.

I feed the birds during the winter, especially when it's cold and the ground is frozen and I imagine that the pickin's are slim. With both feeders, the tits will perch and use their beaks to throw most of the seed to the ground. They might be looking for something specific in the seed; I'm not sure. The other birds (robins, chaffinches, blackbirds) will then poke around on the ground and eat what's fallen. I see the robins attempting to perch from time to time, but they don't stay perched for more than a second or two. They prefer to walk around on the ground.

3 comments:

  1. Sunflower is the seed for which they search!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea to feed birds in the winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. tim, ah, there are plenty to have!

    gosia, they enjoy it, I hope!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!