Saturday, April 22, 2017

Grillée

Grilled. Fried. Or, in this case, frozen to a crisp. Thursday's frost and freeze was a lot more serious than I first thought. In our area the vineyard damage is pretty extensive. With my untrained eye, I can see that a lot of new leaves and tiny flower buds have been frozen. I think that the growers are still assessing the damage, but the local newspaper mentioned that many of the vineyards in the towns around us were affected.

Just outside our back gate: new vine growth damaged by frost.

The only damage I saw on our own property is on the fig tree. All the leaves froze. I'm hopeful that new leaves will sprout, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. The apple blossoms took some damage, too. Again, we'll have to wait to see how much fruit forms. Unlike the grape growers, we don't rely on a good crop for our livelihood.

A branch of our fig tree. The once broad and bright green leaves have been shriveled by frost.

6 comments:

  1. Our fig suffered the same damage, but as you say, it isn't our livelihood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartbreaking for the growers. So many elements not in their control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear this...How your fig does may depend on how well established its root system is. But how sad for the vineyards.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. gaynor, and I was really looking forward to a fig crop this year!

    mitch, some are always hit worse than others. It's so random!

    thickethouse, the plant is over 10 years old now, but it did freeze to the ground one year early on, then came back.

    judy, I'd be a nervous wreck!

    michael, yup.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!