Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Figgy

We still have whole figs in the freezer. They're fruit that a friend down the road gave us from her tree last fall. We ate many of them fresh, and Ken preserved those we couldn't eat by cooking them in syrup and freezing them whole. I used some over the weekend to make a tart.

I used a pair of kitchen shears to cut a cross in the top of each fig before baking.

The tart was easy to make. I had leftover pie crust in the freezer, so I just had to thaw it, roll it out, and blind-bake it. Then I sprinkled some ground almonds into the shell, and filled it up with the figs, also thawed out before-hand. I baked the assembled tart for about twenty minutes. Since the figs had already been blanched in sugar syrup, they were sweet and tender and needed no additional ingredients before baking.

7 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering. The sad offerings we get here in northern England, consist of 4 tiny little figs wrapped in a hard plastic shell for an exorbitant price. They are always tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A work-of-art-tart. I was just saying yesterday fig cake sounded good to me. Do you have our address?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have several bags of dried figs from our tree, I found it was the easiest way of storing them. They are delicious and re-hydrate perfectly for any recipes I have used. Having said that I have also bottled a few in syrup which we just eat as they are. Hope you are both well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy and very professional. Are you sure you didn't buy that tart from your local patisserie...hmm? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the candied figs myself using fresh figs donated by friends who live down the road. See the first two figues confites posts here.

      Delete
  5. christina, I have a small fig in my garden, but it's not big enough to produce much. But my neighbor's is well established and prolific.

    mitch, let's see... if I put "Chez Dudo et Moose" on the label...

    diane, all well, if not a little soggy, here. I've never dried figs. Something to try!

    melinda, :)

    anonymous, pretty sure.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!