Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Gothic

This is the interior of the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Rouen, in Normandy. Construction began in the 11th century in the Romanesque style. By the 12th century, the construction reflected the emerging Gothic style and continued for more than three hundred years. The building was significantly damaged in the second world war, and underwent a restoration shortly thereafter.

One of the side aisles in the cathedral of Notre-Dame de Rouen. Color slide, 1992.

I've been to Rouen several times and have seen the cathedral, inside and out. It's a seriously impressive building and worth visiting. I think this photo dates from 1992. Like yesterday's image, it's a color slide that I've since digitized.

7 comments:

  1. The three of us went to Rouen one time, but I think it was in 1999. I have somewhere a picture of you and Ken on a bluff overlooking Rouen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found that photo on my computer... along with some photos of you, me, and Walt standing in front of the famous Rouen restaurant where Julia Child had her first meal in France back in the 1940s or '50s.

      Delete
  2. These proportions really give the sense of ascending to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo.
    That place is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. chm, yes, I remember that, too.

    thickethouse, it's impressive!

    elgee, thanks!

    emm, it's worth a look. So is the rest of the city.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!