Friday, January 12, 2018

Leeks

Among my favorite pizza toppings are leeks and bacon, together. I've been making a version of this pizza for almost twenty years, and it's always good. I don't use tomato sauce for this pizza. I start with my regular pizza dough recipe. Before baking the pizzas, I cut up and sauté a couple of leeks in olive oil until they're tender. How many I use depends on their size; more if they're skinny, fewer if they're fat.

Leek and bacon pizza for lunch. Yum! By the way, that "Gallo" bottle is Portuguese olive oil, not wine from Ernest & Julio.

In the US, I used standard American bacon, thickly sliced if I could find it. But here in France I use lardons fumés, those chunks of smoked bacon that are a staple of French cooking. They get sautéed as well prior to baking the pizza. Cheese is optional, but grated Parmesan works well, sprinkled on when the pizzas come out of the oven. Yesterday I added grated French Emmental before each pizza went into the oven.

10 comments:

  1. I love the idea of leeks and bacon. I shall try this very soon. With just a small amount of cheese on top. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your leek pizza sound very much like a delicious Picardy specialty ; la flamiche.

      Delete
  2. I do wish leeks would become more popular in the U.S. - then the price for them wouldn't be so high. You would think they could have their moment as a culinary darling - some stranger other things have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I love Pizza Bianca and I love leeks and bacon. This may find its way onto my table this weekend. Thanks so much for the suggestion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pizza does look heavenly. Especially the crust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds and look very good. Without a sauce of any kind, does it get dry, or does the cheese make up the moisture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Jacques Pépin says, "There is nothing like a leek." I love your combo and with mushrooms, on pizza, quiche, or with just the combo with an egg on top with toast soldiers. It is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. local alien, great!

    chm, similar!

    sillygirl, how expensive are they?

    angiemanzi, I like white pizza, too. Maybe I'll do that next!

    diogenes, it was pretty good this time!

    emm, the leeks are not dry at all once they're sautéed in olive oil.

    ms lemon, and just plain cooked leeks with vinaigrette is delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked today at Fred Meyer - leeks were $1.99 a pound. At other stores they are more expensive.

      Delete
  8. A combination I've had and loved, too. That is a gorgeous photo of a gorgeous pizza.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!