Monday, January 08, 2018

Orsay

The Musée d'Orsay is one of the more popular museums in Paris. The building was once a railroad station, built for the Universal Exposition of 1900 on the site of the Orsay Palace which had been destroyed in the Paris Commune of 1871. Since 1986, the renovated station is home to Paris' collection of impressionist works, formerly shown in the Jeu de Paume museum across the river in the Tuileries Garden.

My "impression" of the main gallery of the Orsay impressionist museum. Color slide, 1992.

When I was a student in Paris in 1981-82, I saw the impressionist paintings at the Jeu de Paume. I hardly remember them. It wasn't until 1992, I think, that I visited the collection in the new museum. This photo is from that year. I was taking color slides then, more than a decade before I would get into digital photography. I've since digitized the slide, but the quality leaves a little to be desired. I still like the photo, though.

8 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful photo. So much I haven't seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful museum, a great collection and an amazing space

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to the Jeu de Paume (unlike you, I could happily spend hours in a museum, without getting ancy!) quite a few times. Going to art museums was my number 1 way to spend the day, when I wasn't with my au pair family, or at school.

    What I remember about France Gall, is that song Résiste playing ALL THE TIME on my transistor radio, in 81-82. There was one other song that played all of the time, too, but I can't remember it at the moment. But, Résiste... all the time. Still in my head, and transports me back.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. judy, it might have been "Tout pour la musique?"

      Delete
  4. Did we go together, you, Ken and me to musée d'Orsay when we all were in Paris in January 1992 and staying at the Avenir?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chm, yes, I think we did go together then.

      Delete
  5. I went years ago...but this photo makes it look so much more beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!