Friday, February 16, 2018

Corny

Earlier this week, I made cornbread. The lunch plan was to have some of Ken's pulled pork, North Carolina style (from the freezer), with cole slaw and cornbread. I put half a cabbage and a carrot through the food processor for the slaw. Some mayonnaise, plain yogurt, mustard and a little vinegar went into the dressing. Then I made the cornbread.

A little butter is always good with cornbread fresh out of the oven.

The recipe, Aunt Cloe's Corn Pone, comes from our friend H. in Illinois. I altered it a little by adding an egg to the batter and it came out very nicely. The recipe calls for buttermilk, but since I don't have that, I used a cup of plain yogurt mixed with a cup of milk. I reduced the amount of sugar by about a third and, like I said, added a beaten egg. The bread baked in a round cake pan for about 30 minutes at 180ºC (350ºF).

Aunt Cloe's Corn Pone (modified)

2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup sugar (I used a little less)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups corn meal

Mix all the ingredients until batter is smooth, pour into a lightly greased pan and bake for 30-50 minutes in a pre-heated 350ºF oven, or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.

7 comments:

  1. I love fresh cornbread and the way it soaks up the butter. Yours is probably better than anything I've had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Chloe's cornpone is always a hit when I make it. Ken gave me the recipe a while ago and I've made it quite a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying the leftovers of that tamale pie (basically taco fillings topped with cornbread batter, and baked) every day this lunch--nice to have that cornbread on top. Yumm. Is there a difference, you think, between corn bread, and corn pone?
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy's comment sent me down the Google rabbithole, because corn pone seems to me a lot like New England johnnycake. Near as I can tell, they're all pretty similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, it was pretty good, if I do say so myself.

    susan, cool!

    judy, I don't know... hmmm...

    emm, glad you did the research!

    michael, good enough for breakfast by the pool? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never tasted coen bread.....or pone. Is the corn meal you use the same as polenta?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!