Sunday, September 01, 2019

The new mower

I'm saying good-bye to our eight-year old lawnmower. Some metal part that held one of the front wheels on sheared off and is beyond my ability to repair. Getting it repaired professionally is probably not worth the expense, given that other things will start going wrong anyway. Our first mower lasted eight years, and now the second has given us eight years.

I didn't think to take a picture before I used the mower, so it's a little dusty.

So we went shopping, first on line and then to a local hardware chain, and found this. It's the same brand as the other two. I put it together last week, but yesterday was the first time I used it to get a large section of the yard cleaned up. The mower works great. There are two things that are different from the previous models. There's one lever to change the cutting height so I don't have to adjust each wheel independently. The second difference is that it has rear-wheel drive instead of front-wheel drive. I have to get used to that.

5 comments:

  1. When we’d mow the lawn for Jerrys grandfather, he’d make us clean it after each use. I don’t know how old it was but it looked brand new... and it was very stressful to meet with his approval. A dusty lawnmower? You would have been in big trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a flashback to lawn mowing, I haven’t done that it about 15 years, the last time I tackled a gas mower was over 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to push a lawn mower around, but 'tis good that you bought a new modern one. GPS guidance lines?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating to see! Around these parts there's very little grass to mow and what is is done by the help no one does their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I was just thinking, do I want to go down that road? Get a cloth, wipe the thing down? Well, maybe just this once.

    travel, wow! My parents made me do some mowing when I was a kid. I hated it. Then I lived in apartments for many years, until 1992, when I moved into a house with a lawn. I got a manual rotary mower for that. Ugh! With this current, larger property, I need a larger, power mower with automatic traction!

    andrew, no gps, lol! But I don't have to push, it's powered (like the other two before it). Just walk behind and steer.

    michael, some people around here have gardeners that do that, but I like the exercise I get walking behind the mower, so I'll do it myself until I can't any more.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!