Today is July 14th, France's national day, a celebration of the first steps in the nation's transition away from a monarchy to a nation led by its people.
An artichoke in bloom out back. The 14 juillet défilé (parade) down the Champs-Elysées gets under way soon.
It's also still hot. Many communities across the country have canceled traditional fireworks displays to reduce fire risk. Drone-based displays are becoming more common, although I don't know of any around us.


We had several days relief from extreme hot. Temps below 35. But we’re headed back up again. Ah well. I had never seen an artichoke in bloom until you shared a photo years ago. They are so surprisingly beautiful.
ReplyDeleteFor every year from 1984 till 1991 I made a point of being in Paris for Bastille Day - such heady times! Those gay bar/disco crawls, the gay disco on the river bank on night of 13/14th night, the being 'picked up' and taken to whatever guy's flat for the night.........oh those hedonistic days! - and yet all in the midst of the horror of AIDS! I've never been able to afford to return to Paris since then, but will never cease to recall those times with enormous affection. It's no wonder the city became my favourite of ALL cities anywhere!
ReplyDeleteVia la France
ReplyDeleteHappy quatorze juillet to you both :)
ReplyDeleteThere have been drone-based displays around here, too, but I haven't gone to any.
Glad I finally rediscovered yall blog.
ReplyDeletemitch, the 'chokes are blooming a lot earlier this year. I'm guessing lack of water.
ReplyDeleteraybeard, fun memories!
tommy, thanks for stopping by!
judy, same to you! I've only seen the drone displays on tv, but they look impressive. And less combustible.
artichokes are amazing whenever I see one I would like to know who was the first to look at the beastly thing and see if it was edible.
ReplyDelete