Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The colonnade

We emerged outside the base of the Panthéon's dome, inside the colonnade that encircles and supports it. The floor is slanted downwards and out, to shed rain, I suppose. The details are amazing, given that this part of the building was never intended to be seen from so close.

The recent restoration makes everything look so clean and new.

I walked around the perimeter of the dome several times, taking photos of course, and changing the lens a time or two. Because our group was not particularly large, getting shots without people in them was not very difficult.

Ah, those corinthian capitals!

I mentioned before that I like to drag out the pictures, so I apologize if you're a little impatient to see the views out over the city. But don't worry, they're coming up soon.

9 comments:

  1. I like it....we're getting the tour....in English....without having to actually go to Paris!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exceptional. And that restoration is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad they opened the place up for you and....us! Isn't the ceiling special? All made to last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep them coming - the details of the columns and the ceiling are very interesting . I am also awaiting ( with patience) for the pics of the new wavy structure across the Seine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying your point of view; it covers a lot of things I seem to have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the columns were all of a piece, but they look like blocks, worked to make the rounds. Wonder if they were built on the ground and hauled up, or created in situ? Either way, it's a remarkable building.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tim, virtual tourism.

    mitch, they did a nice job, as far as I could tell.

    evelyn, it's the little details...

    t.b., that's coming up!

    judy, thanks!

    chris, cool.

    emm, I think that most columns are made from "disks" of stone assembled this way. Although they do exist, solid columns are very difficult to quarry and transport, and very heavy and awkward to lift to such heights. I would say that most columns are assembled in place, each block being lifted into place individually. Of course, modern columns are made from steel or reinforced concrete...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!