Saturday, June 02, 2007

Passage Du Gois

We're nearing the end of our Normandy/Brittany road trip. In fact, with this entry, we've left Brittany and crossed the Loire River into the Vendée region.

Le Passage du Gois between the mainland and the Ile de Noirmoutier. You can see a couple of cars if you look closely (or enlarge the picture).

The island of Noirmoutier sits off the coast just south of the Loire estuary and is, these days, accessible by a long bridge. Before 1971, however, the only way to get there (besides by boat) was the passage du Gois, a kind of causeway built in the late 19th century that is flooded daily by the tides. Access is limited to periods of low tide. The passage is still there, and there is a famous foot race across it every year. You see the requisite news reports on tv showing runners trying to race the tide and actually running in the rising water. Sounds like fun. Not.

A couple of small boats at low tide in the Baie de Bourgneuf.

We were lucky in that without any planning we arrived during low tide and drove our car across (and back). Ken tells me that I didn't want to go anywhere on the island, so we didn't. I don't remember that, but I do remember that by this point on the trip, Ken was very sick with a cold. We headed up the Loire River to Nantes for the night, then back up to Paris the next day.

**********
I hope you enjoyed this little trip down memory lane. Since Callie arrived, the process of scanning slides has become more difficult because it takes more time and concentration than she'll allow me at the moment. As I type this, she's jumping up into my lap wanting to play - the click click of the keyboard sounds like something fun.

As the summer progresses, though, I'll probably start another tray. I've got trips to Provence, le Lot, and more Loire Valley, not to mention Paris, in the slide trays ready for scanning. There are also some USA slides I wouldn't mind doing - Yosemite, Death Valley, Northern California, Chicago, Washington, DC. All in good time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!