Tuesday, August 15, 2006

L'Assomption

Today, for Catholics in France and elsewhere, is l'Assomption. For those whose religion embraces the cult of the virgin, this day celebrates the taking of Mary, mother of Jesus, into heaven. It's part of the story that's right up there with the immaculate conception (the event for which the cathedral in my home town is named).

Interior of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Albany, NY (photo from cathedralic.com).

Needless to say, today is also a holiday in France. And, since it falls on a Tuesday this year, many folks who are not otherwise on vacation took Monday off as well for a swell four-day weekend. That's called faire le pont in French, or "to make the bridge" between Sunday and the holiday.

A deptiction of the virgin Mary in the church at Selles-sur-Cher. At least, I think it's supposed to be Mary. That's an assumption, not to be confused with l'Assomption.

Mostly what this means for me is that the stores are closed on Tuesday. And it's another excuse to post church pictures.

Carved faces in the church at Sées in Normandy.

2 comments:

  1. I just noticed that you have the Tours weather on your blog. I like that!

    My birthday is Immaculate Conception day. I never realized the Albany connection! Also, today, L'Assomption, is my college roommate's birthday.

    Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I have certainly learned something. I'm not a catholic, nor do I play one on tv. But I.C. day I knew nothing about. Turns out, in the 19th century, the pope decided that Mary was born of an immaculate conception, just like her son! Jesus, er, um, wow! Hence, I.C. day. Those christians sure can spin some yarns!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!