Sunday, August 20, 2006

Zucchini Quiche

Last week we made a zucchini quiche. I don't really have a recipe for this one, specifically. We just kind of made it up based on a recipe for grated zucchini quiche and the ingredients we had on hand.

First up, I made my standard pâte brisée and blind-baked it. Here's a link to my method for that (you'll also see photos of previous grated zuke quiche and sliced zuke pie).

Pâte brisée, lined with kitchen parchment and filled with pie weights, ready to go into the oven for about 20 minutes.

Next, I grated one squash and squeezed (squoze?) the excess water out and set it aside to drain some more.

Grated zucchini squeezed and draining.

I cut the second zucchini into disks and lightly salted both sides to draw out some moisture.


Following that, I sliced and sautéed onions in olive oil. While they were cooking, I patted dry the squash disks. The cooked onions got spread in the bottom of the crust to cool.


Then I beat three whole eggs, added crème fraiche and milk (we use non-fat milk which is why I added the cream - if you use whole milk you don't need the cream), some grated gruyère cheese, the grated zucchini, chopped parsley, salt, pepper and some freshly grated nutmeg. I arranged the zucchini disks on top and sprinkled with a little grated cheese.

The raw quiche is ready for the oven.

Then into the oven (180ºC or 350ºF) for about an hour. When it looked done, I took it out to cool on a rack. We served it with a green salad and chopped garden tomatoes, and a bottle of Saumur Champigny. Deeee-lish!

Above, the finished pie; below, green salad with chopped tomatoes.

3 comments:

  1. Sympa, ta recette, il faut que j'essaye... Pourquoi est-ce que tu rapes la courgette, pourrait-on faire cette recette qu'avec les tranches de courgette ? Bises. Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oui, on peut le faire qu'avec les tranches ou bien qu'avec la courgette rapée. C'est à toi !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! It reminds me of a recipe my mother in law use to make, Tourte à la courgette, she covered the pie with dough.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!