Saturday, July 08, 2006

Le Mont Saint Michel

Part Three : A Few Final Images

While impressive, the MSM is the most visited tourist attraction in France outside of Paris, or so I've heard. It certainly seems that way what with the throngs of people crowded into the narrow main street of the village. It's all very Disney-esque; there is store after store of postcards, tee-shirts, and kitsch. I heard english spoken nearly everywhere around me, along with a few other languages of the world.

A group of kids stomp their feet on the sand, bringing water up to the surface. It looked like they were having a great deal of fun.

You can leave the main street and climb stairs here and there to find a view out between rooftops. The steep climb thins out a few of your fellow visitors, but not many.

A view out over the village rooftops.

I had been to the MSM once before, nearly 15 years ago. It was the middle of winter and the place was wet, cold, dark, and empty. I think I prefer it that way - it felt more real, if you know what I mean.

A bird stretches its wings on the exposed sands of the bay.

Another rooftop view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!