Saturday, November 10, 2012

The renaissance wing

The Château de Blois is a royal residence first constructed in the middle ages. It has been subsequently rebuilt and added to over the centuries and is an amazing agglomeration of architectural styles. I visited it for the first time a couple of weeks ago with friends from California. The castle sits on a bluff above the river (nothing unusual there) and is surrounded on all sides by the city of Blois.

This is the renaissance wing of the Blois castle. It's fun to wander around in.

I have to say that I'm amazed that I haven't been inside the castle until now. I've been coming to France since 1981 and I've lived in this region for nearly ten years, and still, this was my first visit. I must also say that I was very impressed. It's a great château to visit and I recommend it. I'm sure I'll go back before too long.

6 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a much larger version of the Logis Royal at Loches. Lovely tiered structure this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never seem to be able to get good enough photos of Blois (for showing to my kids), but, of COURSE... I should have asked Walt to take some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt

    Did you visit the chapel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. tim, yes, much larger.

    judy, it's hard to do since you can't really get any decent distance from the château. This is the best one I got that day.

    starman, yup!

    t.b., yes... photos coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another nice little vacation home. I don't know how you could possibly ever see all there is to see where you live!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!