Friday, June 22, 2018

And speaking of theaters...

This is the marquee outside the Olympia, probably the most famous and prestigious of Parisian music halls. The Beatles sang here. So did Simon and Garfunkel and the Rolling Stones, to name a few of the English-language acts. Countless French, Canadian, and Belgian stars have also performed at the Olympia. Ken and I have been several times over the years to see stars like Véronique Sanson, Serge Lama, Rock Voisine, and France Gall.

The classic red neon lettering on the marquee above the entrance to the Olympia music hall.

Most of the greats of French music have played the Olympia. Edith Piaf, Jacques Brel, Yves Montand, Johnny Halliday, and Céline Dion, just to name a few you might recognize. Stand-up comics also appear here, as evidenced by today's photo. I've not heard of this guy, but he's apparently a comic and was the headliner at the Olympia when I walked by in April.

6 comments:

  1. Last time I went to the Olympia was just a few years ago to see Joan Baez. I've seen her three times in France: at the Pavillon Baltard in Nogent sur Marne (1980, I think), Palais du Sport at the Porte de Versailles, maybe 10 years after the Baltard, and then at the Olympia. Always a pleasure to hear.
    The Pavillon Baltard is just a few minutes' walk from home, so that was even extra special. There were firemen manning the emergency exit, as usual in France, and they were also there to make sure no one smoked. However, I think they restricted that task to tobacco, because up in the balcony, where my friend and I were sitting, we got lungsful of another kind of smoke that had the people on the floor in a great mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Joan Baez in Nashville a few years ago. She is forever young ;-) Your home is in a good location for entertainment!

      Delete
    2. I remember Joan Baez coming to sing on the quad at Duke when I was a student in the late 60s/early 70s.

      Delete
  2. Blankets last night!? Ha!

    I've never been to the Olympia, but have heard about it many times, over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first time at L'Olympia was in 1970 to hear Simon and Garfunkel. Second time in 1978 to hear Alain Souchon and Laurent Voulzy. Both concerts memorable. Then in the 1990s Serge Lama, France Gall, and finally Véronique Sanson. All great concerts.

      Delete
  3. ellen, great memories!

    judy, yes. It's gotten downright chilly. But we're expecting a warm up over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!