Friday, June 15, 2018

La rue Vivienne

Running north from the Palais Royal is the rue Vivienne. Along its western side is the Bibliothèque Nationale de France (the French National Library). The old one. The new site over on the eastern end of the city is often called the TGB, or Très Grande Bibliothèque (the Very Big Library), a play on words with the TGV, France's high-speed rail train.

Looking up the rue Vivienne from the Palais Royal.

Opposite from the old library, which is undergoing renovations right now, is this restaurant, Le Grand Colbert. It's named for the finance minister who served under King Louis XIV. I walked up the street and liked the contrast between the building's art-deco façade and the scaffolding on the old library.

Le Grand Colbert, open "non-stop" from noon until midnight.

I don't know anything about this restaurant, other than it's famous. I don't know whether it's good, or expensive, or not. Oh well. Something to research, maybe, one day. Let me know if you've been there!

8 comments:

  1. As I've said before (I think), you've got a great eye. I love the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with Mitch, Walt: you have a particularly good feeling for geometric relations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i rented an apartment a block from the Colbert....it is lovely inside but I didnt eat there...the reviews werent so hot & the prices were a bit steep if i recall.....I loved being in that location though as it was so central....My daughter lived on rue montmartre at the time (on the 4th floor....whew) but right next to a wonderful restaurant that specialized in duck....think it was a chain...something like chez papa?

    ReplyDelete
  4. About le Grand Cobert-https://www.huffingtonpost.com/doug-mack/accidental-tourist-paris-doug-mack_b_1418443.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. Thoroughly enjoyed that read. ;)

      Delete
  5. I've looked in the window, but that doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, thanks!

    jan, architecture school pays off!

    melinda, hard to get more central than that! Chez papa rings a bell... I'll have to look it up.

    judy, cool!

    evelyn, funny! I had no idea and am now glad I didn't wander in there for lunch!

    elgee, :)

    chris, it's good enough for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!