Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Ô Château

After the Tuileries, L, P, J, and I headed over to a wine bar I knew of called Ô Château. The guy who runs it, a sommelier named Olivier Magny, had a television series a few years ago in which he visited a different French wine region in each episode. So I was curious.

Outside the Ô Château wine bar. My friends L, P, and J are there on the left.

When we got there, there was Monsieur Magny sitting outside working on something. When we got inside and ordered, he stopped by our table to ask if we were there for the wine tasting that was starting downstairs. We weren't, but I asked if he was indeed Olivier Magny and he said yes, and he asked how I knew him. I told him I had seen his television show. Big smile.

Yours truly and L, taken by our friend P. A little blurry, but after a couple of glasses, who isn't!

It was nice to see him and maybe one day Ken and I will sign up for one of his tastings. We enjoyed our wines and ate a small plate of cured ham and veggies before heading back to our respective hotels. The ladies had a bus tour in the early evening, after which we were meeting up for a sunset boat tour on the Seine.

8 comments:

  1. IIRC your long time friend L. was instrumental in your coming to Paris to study French in the early eighties.

    Château d’O is a lovely renaissance chateau in Normandy. Ô is pronounced like eau which is water in French. Does Ô chateau have vintage water tastings also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun and so great to see YOU in a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walt, you are looking very slim and trim! Have you lost weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking this wine bar sounded familiar so I looked up the address which is near Saint Eustace. Like you, we arrived accidentally just before a tasting so we joined it and had a very nice time. Thanks for the memory!

      Delete
  4. You and L share some good memories- life changing ones! Love seeing the two of you together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH this looks good ! Your photo becomes you too.
    Interesting - here in the Southwest the local wine shops and parlors don't have much French wine anymore. Apparently French wine isn't popular anymore. Why? I'm told people associate French with $$$ so they don't buy it, and they are suspicious of 'French table wine' as cheap. Another theory I'm told is it is not seen as 'hip' compared to 'trendy' countries. It is too bad for I would like to explore and try French wines - if I could get me some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get French wines in NC, too, but retailers seem to push the local stuff as well as California output, much of which I don't much care for. I think the NZers and Auzzies have done a lot of heavy marketing in recent years, which the French haven't.

      Delete

Tell me what you think!